Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Adios 2008!

2008 has been quite the year. I guess I probably say that every year, but it doesn't make it any less true. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the year goes by. It just seems like yesterday that I was attending the information class on gastric bypass and now I'm almost 130lbs lighter. I've gone from a BMI of over 45 to one that's almost within the "healthy" range of 20-25 (I'm at 25.2! Almost!). I've dropped more clothes sizes than I know what to do with. I've learned that water is the ultimate beverage and vegetables are not the devil. I haven't had caffeine or sugar since April, and shockingly, one can survive without both! :)

I've also learned who my real friends are. They're the ones who say how healthy I look now, but that I was always beautiful. They aren't intimidated or jealous of my weight loss because they know it hasn't been an easy road. They are the ones who called and visited me during my three hospital admissions this year. They remind me every day how blessed I am to have such a core group of fabulous friends.

I have an amazing family. I knew this already, but after the year I've had, I've come to realize how truly blessed I am. I have a mother who will take off a week from school to be with me after surgery...and who will drop everything to come stay with me while I'm hospitalized. I have a brother who will stop by my hospital room every day after work, even if it's just to watch TV with me. I have a sister in law, not even a blood relative, who came to see me daily and bring me things to do so I wouldn't get bored.

I've learned that being a patient in the hospital is one of the most frustrating experiences known to man. It's a completely powerless feeling, especially when you don't know WHAT is wrong with you. I'm supremely thankful for my fabulous surgeon and his gifted hands...for not only fixing me the first time, but taking out that blasted gallbladder that my body decided it didn't need.

I'm thankful for small blessings....like getting up and drinking a glass of water without throwing up. Like putting on pants that fit last week and realizing they are too big this week. Like walking into a patient's room and seeing their jaw drop because they haven't seen me in a few months.

I have a lot to be grateful for this year, and I hope I never cease to remember that. I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

I'm proud of you and all you've accomplished not only during this past year, but with your career and personal life! you've always been an amazing, beautiful, and silly woman! Happy New Year! :)

Anonymous said...

HOW CAN I HELP BUT BE JELIOUS LOOK AT YOU HOT MAMMA LOL. REALLY YOU LOOK AMAZING AND YOUR INNER BEAUTY IS WONDERFUL,I AM SO GLAD FOR MY DAUGHTER THAT SHE CREATED OUR FRIENDSHIP. ON ANOTHER NOTE 9 MONTHS WITH OUT CAFFINE AND SURGER YEAH IT IS SAFE TO SAY I WILL BE FAT FOREVER CAUSE I CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE THAT LOL. I AM SO PROUD OF YOUR WILL POWER GIRL YOU GO.