Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

First official duty!

Well, I'm really not in my new job yet...but yesterday, I sure got to act like it! I was minding my own business, sitting in Employee Health doing my Community Health clinicals. (ICK!) I saw my fellow coordinator coming down the hall, very purpose driven! Well, it turns out that a transplant was set to occur that evening and she sought me out so I could be a part of it. See, we don't always have someone waiting on the list, and even though this was the 6th transplant this year, they don't normally happen so often! It's important for me to see how it all works, so she wanted to let me in on that. It's such a long process! I found out at 1200 and we didn't end up actually getting to the OR until 6pm! I watched the whole thing...and what an amazing experience! The native heart (the heart the patient had to start with) continued to beat, even after it was removed! It just sat there in the preservation liquid and kept on going! Finally, it figured out that nothing was happening and stopped...but what a sight! To see a new heart, pulled from ice and VERY grey, be sewn in, warmed up, and start pumping blood all on its own! How amazing! And I got to be a part of that! :)

I am not in my official role yet, as there are some budget modifications that have to be done, and wouldn't you know...everyone is on vacation! That's okay though, I'm content to just finish out my days on the floor with my friends. That's gonna be the hardest part! Those women are my family and it's tough to say goodbye...although I really don't have to! I'll still interact with them on a daily basis, but is strange knowing that I'll be there and don't have those same responsibilities. That's my first nursing job, and it's weird to think I'm not doing it anymore. I'm so thankful for the almost 2.5 years of experience I have! This new job is absolutely a God-send! Who knew that they'd take someone without a masters with only 2 years of nursing experience! Hooray for me! :) I'm not sure when I'll actually start...but one would hope they will let me know SOON!


Okay, well seeing as I didn't get home last night until 1:30 and had to be up early this morning for work, I am EXHAUSTED. I will happily sleep...until 6:30....but that's a long time from now! :) HOORAY!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh, SO cool! How long did the native heart continue to beat? 1 min? 2 mins? I have no idea here....fill me in!

Kris said...

I am so excited for you AND so happy to hear the excitment from you! I hope to see you soon!

The Peacock Pearl said...

whoa!

Anonymous said...

Your father and I are soooo proud of you.

Mom