Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Recovering!

WOWSERS. What a 72 hours I have had!

Thursday was Boss Day. I got up nice and early to make a delightful breakfast casserole for the brunch we were having. While it was cooking, I decided to take the dogs out. I came back into the house to hear my phone ringing. It was my co-worker...which was odd because she was supposed to be off the next two days. When I called her back, she told me there was a really good heart offer for one of our kiddos. She was off and wanted to know if I would take care of the transplant. I'm sure she'd say now that she "offered" to come in, but it was one of those half hearted pathetic offers. She was technically on call, and if I had known what was to happen, I would have let her. This transplant was going to be extremely high risk and I was NOT excited about doing it.

I spent the day on the phone with pretty much what seemed like the entire world. I got the transplant set up and we headed to the operating room at 8PM. God was truly watching out for this precious little one because all the bad and horrid things that could have happened didn't! About 3/4 of the way through the transplant, we got an offer for one of our kids that's been waiting about 5 months at the top of the list. It was a GREAT heart, so we accepted that one too! Our first kiddo came out of the OR about 4:30AM and the next one went in at 9AM. I didn't have time to get a nap or anything because there was a bunch of drama with the donor hospital for the 2nd heart. Thankfully, I had some buddies in the OR for the 2nd one, so I at least had someone to speak to! We got out of the OR at 8:30PM and I FINALLY headed home. My puppies were so happy to see me!

It was 38 hours without sleep, but TWO sweet kids got new hearts in less than 24 hours! Last time I checked, they were both doing amazingly well!

Needless to say, I am exhausted. I slept 11 hours last night and 3 more this afternoon. My entire body hurts, but hopefully it will feel better with more sleep.

Off to bed....hooray!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang 2 that is great, I love reading your stories missy. get some sleep lol