Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Protection, both inside and out

As Olivia gets larger and decidedly more opinionated, I'm convinced she is my tiny little patience tester. I, of course, was the most angelic and perfect child, never once testing my parents patience. I'm certain they took one look at that head full of red curls and thought to themselves "This child is the supreme example of good behavior." Okay, now that I'm done crouching beneath the table for fear of lightening strikes, I'll continue.

Olivia LOVES to move. She's hardly ever still. I don't know where she's going to find the strength to sleep all day as a newborn, but I eagerly anticipate this time. She spends my waking hours rotating her rear end from the right side of my diaphram and ribs to the center and back again. She's quite the acrobat. There are times during the day when I have to lay down or sit up absolutely perfectly straight or I can't breathe. I have a beautiful lop-sided stomach, but then again, that's okay.

I think every parent worries about how to raise the gift that God has blessed them with. I know I do. I worry that I won't be a good example to Jacob, Andrew, and now Olivia. I worry that I won't be able to keep them safe and protected from the evils of the world until they are able to discern for themselves what is good vs evil. While Olivia grows inside me, I can protect her. She is formed enough now that all her parts are working well and could survive outside of my protective cave. There's a large part of me that wishes I could keep here inside, safe and sound. So what that I can't breathe? Or go for an hour without peeing? Or sleep without a pillow fortress? Or wear clothes without pregnancy panels (although I may never want to give those up anyway....SO comfy!)?

This is not what we have been charged to do as Christians. This is:

Psalm 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Deut 4:9: "Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them."

Whew! Scary, but if we want the next generation to fear the Lord, this is our charge. I pray every day (and multiple times during the day!) that I will do these things for these three little ones. They are only ours for a season, and Jason and I's desire is to train them to not just know of the Lord, but to KNOW HIM. It's an important task. Your continued prayers would be appreciated.

No comments: