Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, June 09, 2008

My breaking point

This past week has been absolutely draining to me. I have had no energy, looked white as a sheet, and haven't been able to eat or drink very much at all. It's been miserable. I pushed through because I knew I had to be at work, being the only coordinator in town. I had a brand new transplant, a funeral to attend, and all the run of the mill work things to accomplish....which would normally not be a big deal! I was never so happy to see Friday come when I went off call!

Friday, I went to the doctor for my 6 week check up. The PA (NOT my surgeon) checked me out, figured I was low in some vitamin level, and sent me to get labs drawn. I was convinced I was anemic, so I asked when the levels would be back...oh don't worry..."We'll call you around Tuesday with your levels and tell you what to do!" I was infuriated. I was going to get to spend the entire weekend feeling like GARBAGE. I even think I said that to her. She gave me a shot of B12 and sent me on my way. At the lab, they drew almost TWO ounces of blood (hey, if I wasn't anemic before, I sure would be after!). Around this time, my friend Kris called me and asked me how the doctor's visit went. I pretty much unloaded on her every angry feeling about the experience. She was equally shocked that pretty much nothing had been done. I went home, slept, and hoped I would feel better the next day. Well, not so much as it turned out. Then the puking began....and I had nothing in my stomach to puke. I went shopping with Whitney and Eli...and then things just started getting worse pretty fast. I finally broke down and called my surgeon. He was concerned and told me he wanted me to go be admitted at the hospital for severe dehydration and what he thought was a stricture. In the world of gastric bypass, a stricture is swelling where the stomach pouch meets the small intestine.

I ended up getting admitted, getting almost no sleep that night, and had IV's started for hydration. I got about 3 liters before I actually used the bathroom...which is VERY scary! :) Sunday, my poor sad dehydrated veins were blowing fast so I kept getting poked....for a total of 12 times. ICK. When my surgeon visited me on Sunday, he told me I needed a endoscopy and a balloon dilation of that stoma. Thankfully, this does not "ruin" my surgery. It happens in about 4% of gastric bypass patients. Of course, I would have to be in that small percentage. Today, I was taken for endoscopy where it was discovered that I did have a stricture. It was dilated and my world became a new and wonderful place again! I'm still weak fom the week of not eating, but I'm feeling better every hour that goes by. I was discharged this evening and am now happily at home. Of course, I look like I've been doing drugs with all my multiple IV bruises...but oh well.

Thank you to ALL those who came to visit me, brought me flowers, sent me sweet and encouraging text messages, and kept me in your prayers. I'm hoping that in the next few days, I'll be back to happy and correct eating. I'll probably go back work on Wednesday...energized and not looking like death!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

YAY!! I'm SO GLAD you're home and feeling better. It was the gossip mags that made your time fly...right? Right?? :)

Kris said...

girl, you need to keep us updated on what is going on, NOT AFTER IT HAPPENS! let us know if you need anything. luv u

Lorin said...

I had no idea you were sick! I totally would have come to visit you! We could have had an all day read-a-thon in the hospital room. Either way, I'm glad you're feeling better. Let me know if you need anything! (Especially if any of those IV pokes caused permanent numbness requiring physical therapy....) ;)