Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Boston 2008

Word to the wise: if you ever have the opportunity to go to a beautiful and historic city like Boston for a conference, make sure you either come early or stay late. I am very frustrated that I have not been able to experience Boston the way I would have liked too, but I have still been exposed to some wonderful things! I got here on Tuesday, on a MD80, two flights before American shut them all down! I guess it pays to take the earlier than early flight. I took the “T” from the airport down to the area where my hotel was. It was very reminiscent of Washington DC where you come off a giant escalator into the most beautiful surroundings! I was instantly blown away by the Boston Public Library, the oldest library in America and Trinity Church. I’ll have to download pictures off my camera when I’m not sitting in the airport without the cords! I hiked the block and a half to my hotel, lugging my enormous suitcase behind me. I stayed in the Copley Place Marriot, which was gigantic and fabulous!  I had a really long and boring meeting that afternoon which was only made better by the chocolate and sandwiches! After the meeting, I checked into the hotel, only to wait for all my co-workers whose planes had been affected by the massive American cancellations. Once my roommate Lisa got there, we went with the other transplant cardiologist to a delicious seafood restaurant for dinner! YUM! Legal Seafood is apparently a Boston staple and it was divine! Wednesday, the official conference began and our days were suddenly filled with meeting after meeting after meeting! For dinner, we went over to Harvard for a meeting of one of the research projects we are involved in. We also went to scope out Children’s of Boston. Thursday bought more meetings….I’m telling you, the highlights of my trip involve the fabulous food! Thursday, I went with Lisa, Kris (my favorite surgeon!), and another physician who had previously done transplant at my hospital to another delicious seafood restaurant that Kris knew about. She’s from Boston, so we figured she’d pretty much know where to go…and she did. That night, we went back to Legal Seafood for dinner and drinks with all the Dallas gang. Friday…can you guess? More meetings! Friday was a great day for several reasons…first of all, I went absolutely crazy for free stuff in the exhibit hall. Let’s just say I have my fair share (and probably some other people’s too) of drug pens. Kris, Lisa, and I did sushi for lunch…which I fall more in love with every time I eat it! Lisa presented a research poster we had all worked on in the afternoon, which was really exciting because we were able to get into some lively debates with other hospital groups! Afterwards, the conference was throwing a “gala” at the Boston Public Library which involved an open bar (which was WAY fun to watch people enjoy!), lots of finger foods, and beautiful, yet crowded surroundings. Lisa and I were starting to feel very claustrophobic, so we left and went up into the Prudential building, which has the most beautiful lounge on the 52nd floor! We drank wine and just fell in love with the buildings at night! Today, I’m headed back home. I haven’t been able to do much of the touristy things I wanted to do, but now that I know how beautiful this city is, I will absolutely be back. I also didn’t get very many pictures, but that can be remedied at another visit! Right now, I’m sitting in some airport restaurant, trying to pass the time. I’m sitting next to a guy who is eating the cloves right out of a bulb of roasted garlic. EW! I think that’s perfectly fine to do when you are at home…but right before you get on a plane? I think I should start praying now that he is not sitting next to me. On a different random restaurant note, the waiter just passed me and said “How’s my lady friend doing?” Weird. I now have big plans to go find my gate and listen to my iPod until the plane boards.

I have less than 48 hours until my eating habits will drastically change. Starting Monday, I’ll be doing only clear liquids and protein drinks until my surgery a week later. I also have to stop taking ibuprofen and get ready to start doing my blood thinner shots (EW!) Please keep me in your prayers as I go off caffeine completely and make do with only liquids. It’s gonna be worth it in the end, but I don’t want to make people crazy!

1 comment:

Kris said...

I LOVE LEGAL SEAFOOD! I did a Boston trip a long time ago when I had a client there. I was able to go a day early and do a tour of the city. You definately have to go back. It is so cool. I have been back other times for meetings and always end up eating seafood. Praying that all goes well without caffeine. I did it for a while during pregnancy and it is hard but you will endure.