Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Camp Moss

Every year, about 1/4 of our staff tromps down to Meridian, Texas (in the middle of absolute nowhere) to enjoy Camp Moss. It's a week long camp for kids with heart disease. They could be anything from a simple heart defect, to a complex one, to funky heart rhythms, or even a transplant. It gives the kids an opportunity to feel normal and enjoy camp in a safe environment. The camp facility was donated by parents of a little boy who died of leukemia. It has all the same stuff as regular camp...but it's so clean! No mold at this camp! Everything is air conditioned, the food is yummy, and the lake isn't even that gross! I wanted to be a counselor this year, but everyone else beat me to it..so I wasn't able to go. Two girls from my work and I decided we were going to visit yesterday. We drove the two hours down there (on tiny, windy roads) to join the festivities. It was an absolute blast! We walked in, and everyone we knew just came up and hugged us like they haven't seen us in 10 years! I got hugs from people I'd never hugged before! It was so fun! We sat down with one of the nurse practitioners who had her campers go get us food...and just joined on in. It was hilarious. We picked a really great night because the older kids were having a dance and the younger ones were at the pool party. We just went in between both parties. It was an amazing experience to see doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, and medical students be on a first name basis with all these kids that I'm sure they've physically hurt at one time or another! We had a great time! We danced, we played, and came home...tired, but exhilerated. All of us decided we wanted to be there next year...now we just have to convince our boss that we can! :)

One of the kids we saw was my precious transplant from Christmas time. She looks AMAZING! She was walking around, dancing, and laughing. I could tell she was having a great time! It was hilarious to see some of those kids...scars and all, having a fabulous time.

This morning, Becca and I weighed in. I really need to be better about weighing in every week...it's gotten rather sporatic lately. I still lost 1.2lbs and am now the lightest I've been in quite some time. I think my grand total is 78.4lbs gone. INSANE!

Well, hopefully, today will be a low key day. I have to work the next two days, and would really benefit from a good night's sleep beforehand. We'll see if that will actually happen!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Congratulations on the weight loss AND what fun to see these kids at camp! I am so glad you got to go visit. Maybe next year you will be there the entire time.