Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Night from HADES!

Oh my goodness. It's 1:55 AM and I'm already wishing it was morning. Let's take a quick look into why my night was a crap-shoot from the get-go. I was sitting down at the nurses station, writing notes on my kids when one of the residents came up to me and said "We need you to collect this lab NOW because this kid's values are really messed up. " I walked into the room, and that's where the madness began. Doctors started shooting out orders, we couldn't get any blood from this kid...the mom was no help..I think my favorite part was when she said that she hadn't noticed if her child had peed in the last couple of days. What kind of crazy mother (especially one with a child with a chronic condition) doesn't keep up with that? This poor baby had people sticking tubes into every opening he had...filling his sad little body with everything under the sun. Finally, they got the ICU doctor and fellow to come look at him and realize that he really needed to be in the ICU. I'm telling you, I've never seen such scary lab values on a living, breathing child. The pH of his blood alone showed he shouldn't even be coherent! I got the lovely task of shipping his poor little bootie down to the ICU...something I haven't done by myself since I got off orientation. Finally, at 8:45, I got back to my floor to take care of the other 2 kids that were assigned to me....only to find more crap! :) I have another kiddo who has had trouble breathing the last few days. Apparently he likes to code in the early morning hours! NOT ON MY WATCH! :) I went in to talk to him and found him running a temperature. The temp kept going up so we had to draw all sorts of labs on him. Poor baby...he's just so darn sweet! He actually thanked me after the blood draw. Now he's running a freakishly high heart rate without a reason. Mystery.

Doesn't that sound like a really fun night? ICK! Thankfully, I only work one more night...then off for a long time! Hooray for me! I'm sure I'll probably do nothing but sit around and be happy that I'm not at work. Maybe I'll clean my room. HA!

Gracie needs to go on a diet. Tonight, she broke into Sam's bag and ate all his treats. There's no reason for that! Poor Sam...without parents and without treats. I'm going to have to put Gracie on some kind of diet plan...maybe we'll start walking when it finally cools off for the night. She's getting really chunky in her neck and bootie. She's also been the queen of food stealing lately. She and Sadie ate three chocolate/peanut butter granola bars 2 days ago. Last week, she pulled a container with an eclair in it and ate that. It's like I never feed her. Just when I think she's losing weight, she goes and porks up again. Maybe she needs to start coming to Weight Watchers with me...

Well, hopefully the night is as crazy as it's going to get. I don't know if I can handle much else.

No comments: