Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Greek food is YUMMY!

Well, Becca, her parents, and I went to the Dallas Greek Food Festival tonight. How yummy is that! First of all, we were pretty much blown away literally by the gusts of wind from Rita. While we were eating our dinner (so divine...words are not enough), I literally thought the tent we were sitting in was going to be blown away. It was a big circus-like tent...and the middle pole was starting to wiggle. Scary! There were all these little kid Greek dancers that had the most elaborate costumes! I wanted to jump up on stage and dance with them, but I would have looked retarded in my tshirt and jeans....oh well. We also got a tour of the church it was held at, which is obviously Greek Orthodox. Oh my heavens...so elaborate. The paintings on the walls, the marble alter, all of it...just such excess. I did learn so many interesting reasons why I could never be Greek Orthodox. First of all, their weddings don't involve vows. Isn't that weird? I realize that being blessed by God is the best, but I want to pledge to my future husband (are you still out there?) on that day...not just stand there and not say anything. Second, their worship of Mary is just ridiculous. Our tour guide went as far as to say that if you didn't hold Mary in the high regard that she deserves, you were shaming Christ. That's nuts. I can be thankful that Mary said yes, but that doesn't make her holy. Brave...gutsy...amazing...but not holy. Finally, apparently one of their "sacrements" is a depiction of the dead body of Christ! Why do I need to see this? I don't revel in His dead body! It was just like when Becca and I were exploring the Puerto Rican cathedral. They actually had a life sized figure of dead Jesus in a glass box. How disturbing. Anyways....I just kept my thoughts to myself and tried to keep quiet...which is sometimes hard for me (shocker!).

We didn't get a single drop of rain from Rita. This is pretty hilarious considering that's all we heard about for a week. East Texas got slammed, but we got off with just some crazy wind gusts. I called work tonight to see if they had been calling people in for their "disaster shifts" and the charge nurse said they hadn't. I was very glad of that...mostly because Becca's going to Ikea tomorrow and I really REALLY want to go. I love Ikea. It's a wonderland. It's a good thing that I don't have kids, or I'd be broke. Ikea is so cheap and amazing. I haven't been there in several weeks...and I have birthday money. This is truly a bad combination.

It's less than a month before I go to Washington DC. I am so excited. I love that city! :)

Hope that you and your family are safe...from hurricanes or just every day life.

No comments: