Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Retarded dog

Liberty is sitting on the couch next to me chewing something. I can't really tell what it is...especially since every time I go over there to fish it out of her mouth, she stops chewing. Tonight, Becca and I took the pups on a car ride, and we opened up the top of the car and put the puppies out the sun room. Sadie loved it. She loves the wind against her face! Liberty hates it. She did not like it.

Work was really good today...again, busy...but good. I have this precious new family that has just found out their daughter has a heart defect. It's really interesting being with them as they go down this new adventure. I spent a lot of time today reassuring and helping them cope today..which is exactly why I became a nurse. I love that one on one time. I think they liked me too...so that always helps. I did take a little boy to a sleep study and ended up on the anorexia/bulimia floor. That was an interesting experience...a bunch of ridiculously skinny teenagers, some as young as 13. So sad!

Well, the hospital is officially under a "Code Yellow External Disaster". This means we're required to be available to work extra if we are needed. The funny thing is, they are willing to pay for child care and PET CARE! Liberty does fine staying by herself, but let me tell you, if they call me in, I will be shipping her and her sister off to the Pet Hotel at Pet Smart. They can enjoy Doggie day care on Children's Medical Center budget. The hospital transporters left earlier today to get about 12 kids from the children's hospital in Corpus Christi. At this point, they are also deciding whether or not to evacuate Texas Childrens in Houston. It's going to be an interesting couple of days.

My parents evacuated their city today. My mother is so dramatic. She called me at 9:30 this morning, while I was with one of my patients in a procedure and said "Stephanie. Your father and I are evacuating Houston". It was in this creepy "Doom is coming" voice. It's the same voice she used when she and my dad took Emmitt to the vet when they ended up putting him to sleep and she called me and said "Stephanie. Do you want to say goodbye?" Tears obviously ensued. She also used this voice when my father cut his arm with a chainsaw. She had taken him to the ER, had him already sewn up, and was waiting to be discharged. She said "Stephanie. Your father's in the ER" Now, many things go through my mind. My dad has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm thinking stroke, heart attack, something terrible. I asked her if I needed to come, what was going on, what meds had they given him...and then she finished her story "He cut his arm with a chain saw and it's already sewn up. He's fine." All that to say, my parents are fine. They are staying with my grandma in Fort Worth.

Anyways. I've got 45 minutes before bedtime...so I'd better get going...have fun!

No comments: